Friday, October 9, 2009

Stage Father

Fathers of today's generation are becoming more involved in their children's academic life. Unlike fathers of older generations, modern-day fathers find time to be present in the school activities of their kids or help their children in their assignments.

To give you an example, just recently, one of my colleagues in the office , Resty, took a one-day vacation to attend the Family Day in his kids' school. Another officemate, Ren, would take time off his busy work schedule so he could attend his daughter's activity in school. I myself would always be present in important school presentations or contests of my two schooling children to give them moral support.

I don't know if my two officemates share the same reason as mine why they get involved in their children's school life as we haven't really discussed it openly. As for me, I don't want my children to experience what I had experienced when I was in elementary and high school that my father, actually even my mother, had not attended any of the school activities where their presence was needed, except of course during Recognition Day when both of them would really find time to be present to pin medal on me.

I envied my classmates then whose parents or even just their mothers were present during school programs or PTA meetings. Don't get me wrong, though. I did not harbor any grudge against my parents for not being able to attend most of our school activities as they were busy making a living for me and my other siblings. For a poor family like us, making a living was always the top priority for my parents than attending school programs or meetings.

That's why today's children are very fortunate for having fathers like us who would go out of our way to attend their activities in school. Our involvement is an affirmation of our love for our children and our way of fulfilling our role in shared parenthood. After all, parenthood is not the sole province of mothers.


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for mentioning me Vic. Yes, it's true. I took office work off just to attend my youngest daughter school's activities as practically needed for her to earn points. But that does not so.

    Now the trend is different. Parents must play their role as teachers at home, to finance is not sufficient.

    As I taught her, I also learned. I got refresh.
    (REN)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am doing it because nothing beats the happiness of seeing the glow in the smiles and gazes of my kids when I'm with them in school.

    I am doing it because I feel that my kids feel so much joy when I'm with them in school. Their joy is my joy in a thousand folds.

    I am doing it because life is best lived when spent with our loved ones.

    I am doing it because because I am not sure If God would still give me that precious time to make it again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. now that i think about it, naging mabuti rin pala akong magulang sa kapatid ko.

    ako ang proxy ni mama tuwing recognition day, christmas party, family day, at PTA meetings ng kapatid ko =) high school pa lang ako nun. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  4. puwede mo nang gawing blog topic iyan, jam. ang puwede mong title is "stage sister" :)

    ReplyDelete

Let's Chat

Followers