Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The Photojournalist In Me


My former boss' prophetic comment on my very first blog entry i.e., "The Experience That Was Ondoy" is now coming true. Indeed, my foray into the blogging world is giving me so much satisfaction and elation. I feel satisfied with what I do and at the same time elated by the encouraging comments I have been getting from good souls.

Aside from blogging, another source of satisfaction and elation came my way just last week. You see, we had this seminar on Basic Photography and Everyday Photojournalism at the Filipinas Heritage Library (FHL) in Makati Avenue. Part of that one-day seminar-workshop was the submission of at most two soft copies of digital photos as entries to the exhibit, which is now ongoing at The Alcove (FHLs' photography nook).

Armed with my digital camera, I went to Sta. Cruz area in Manila to take photos of anything that would catch my attention. I first went inside the Sta. Cruz Church and took photos of laborers who were doing some repainting and carpentry works. When I went outside, I chanced upon five streetkids who were playing to their hearts' delight. Since they were chasing each other, I could hardly take photos of them without blurring the image since my equipment is just an ordinary digital camera and not an SLR (single lens reflex) camera.

When I crossed the street going to Binondo area fronting the arch, there were three boys and a girl who were taking a dip at the landmark fountain at the center where vehicles take their U-turn. As I was taking some shots of the wanna-be swimmers, the barangay tanods arrived to drive them away. From swimmers, the kids turned into runners as they scurried away. It was good that before the guardia sibil came, I had already taken some good shots, from among which I chose the one posted here for submission to FHL. That photo, which I entitled "Me and My Surfboard," is now being exhibited at the Alcove, together with those selected from other workshoppers' submissions.

If you have time, you may drop by the venue to take a look at my initial adventure into real photojournalism. I may not be a professional photojournalist but the thought of having one of my submissions chosen by FHL people and displayed at the Alcove is one reason why I'm in high spirits these days. The exhibit ends on Friday but its memory will always linger in my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's Chat

Followers