Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Beauty and Brains



I am very proud to have an intelligent and good-looking daughter in the person of Clare. I thank God for showering upon her the same intelligence and good looks (well, in the eyes of the Creator nobody is ugly) He has bestowed upon me.

Although intelligence is inherited, I'd still like to commend my eldest daughter for nurturing God's gift to her. She has imbibed in her the value of education as key to her bright future. Even now that she is just in her second year high school, she's already setting her eyes on getting a full scholarship grant at the Ateneo De Manila University when she reaches college. De La Salle University is another option (actually, her first choice before). University of the Philippines? I still have to convince her.

A consistent honor student, Clare has already attained many academic achievements to her name from her pre-elementary years and onwards: Best in English Communication, Best in Science, Best in Filipino, Best in Computer Education, Best in Mathematics (The only academic award that she has not received yet and will never receive because she knows it's not her talent is the Best Artist Award). In terms of extra curricular activities, she has also been an awardee for the Leadership Award.

This schoolyear, though, some of her extra curricular activities have started to get in the way of her academics, reason why she placed only second in the honor roll in the first grading period. Did I get angry at her for her being second best in the class? No, I did not. Yes, I was somewhat disappointed but it's not enough reason for me to get angry because I have always instilled in her as well as in her siblings the value of responsibility. She knew where she failed and promised to do better in the next grading period. If by the end of the schoolyear she won't be able to regain her top position in the class, she still has two more years in high school and four in college to be the class valedictorian. Anyway, she had already experienced being one during her elementary years. But then, it would be an added feather on her cap if she could maintain it.

Whatever it is that she'll be able to attain in the future, I as her father will always be proud of her and support her in all her endeavors. Although we are in disagreements at times over her so many extra curricular activities, I still allow her to do what she wants and make her to be always responsible for all her actions and accept whatever the outcome may be. With proper guidance and a lot of encouragement, I know Clare can soar high. I and my wife, and her siblings as well, will always be the wind beneath her wings.


1 comment:

Let's Chat

Followers