Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The Joy of Giving and Sharing

Last night, I and my wife went to Max's Restaurant in Pacita, San Pedro to make a reservation to celebrate the confirmation of our eldest child  this coming Saturday. While my wife was making the arrangements, I went out to withdraw some amount from a nearby automated teller machine.  On my way to the ATM, two very young sampaguita vendors, both girls, approached me and offered their items to me. I was not inclined to buy so the two kids just begged for some coins. The older one asked me to give them P10 each to buy food. It was not my custom to give money for alms. Rather, I would buy food myself to give to beggars. I told the kids that i didn't have coins in my pocket but this did not deter them to follow me.


So, they waited for me until I had withdrawn money. While I was falling in line, an idea popped out of my mind: Instead of buying them two pieces of bread, why not treat them to a dinner? The younger one was hesitant at first to go with me but her older companion prevailed. So when I returned to the reataurant, my wife was surprised that I had two greasy children with me (it was good that the waitress allowed them to enter the restaurant). I told my wife that I invited them for a dinner.


While we're having dinner, we interviewed the older girl who we learned was eight years old. Her five-year-old companion was her cousin (we forgot to ask their names). When asked if they were not afraid to go home by themselves, the older cousin told us that they had other companions who were also selling in the vicinity. We also learned that their parents were at home (the nerve of these parents to let their kids work for them!). I advised the two to study very well and finish it so that when they have their professional job already it's their turn to help others (I just don't know if they understood what I was saying because I was like talking Greek to them).


To my surprise, they were able to eat everything that was served them. Well, I was expecting that with their age and built, there would be some leftovers but there were none. How I wish all my children were like them who would always eat  with gusto what is served them.


I wanted to keep this simple act of generosity to myself because I knew that whatever good we did to our brethren should not be bragged about because our Father in heaven who sees everything we do and do not do has already rewarded us. However, I cannot contain the happiness I have inside me that I feel like sharing it with my readers, not aiming for any accolades but rather wanting and encouraging them to do the same if they have not yet done it before. I have actually long wanted to do it but it was only last night that I was finally able to realize it. And I'm glad I did.

5 comments:

  1. sir vic, if i were a beggar or a sampaguita vendor, i would also ask alms from you or offer you the item i sell. hehe.
    i have linked your blog to my page at karelsaskia.blogspot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i would buy your sampaguita. he he he. thanks for the link. will also link yours to mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. anybody who knows you wouldn't be surprise with your act of generosity....it simply vic...

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for the comment, edgar! i should credit it to our ymc training. one may be poor but he/she is not so poor not to be able to share.

    ReplyDelete

Let's Chat

Followers