Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Seriously Funny

I'm serious. I'm funny. I'm seriously funny.

At the outside, I look very serious and well-behaved that  butter would not melt in my mouth. In fact, I am always mistaken for an ex-seminarian. Well, I am not an ex-seminarian but I have lots of friends who are. I also have some priest-friends. In fact, I was ready then to enter the seminary had Tita Letty Albert, the mother of erstwhile singer Joey Albert, chosen me as a candidate during the vocation seminar I attended at the Youth Marian Crusade's (YMC) former formation house in Antipolo, Rizal. Tita Letty is the founder of this religious organization which recruits high school boys from mostly public schools nationwide. But, as fate would have it, I ended up being a father...not of a religous order but of three beautiful kids.

The serious side of me has its roots in my childhood. Since I came from a poor family, I experienced life's hardships at a very young age. I became a vendor, a jeepney washboy, and a houseboy in my auntie's house just to help my mom make both ends meet. Until I started reaping scholastic honors when I was in Grade 3 that my mother pulled me out from my auntie's care and brought me under the aegis of my grandma who lived in the vicinity. That was the time I discovered the world of komiks.

Our neighbor had komiks for rent and I became one of its loyal clients. The very first komiks I rented was Funny Komiks where I enjoyed the stories or Niknok, Planet Op Di Eyps, Superkat, Darmo Adarna, Mahimud Ali, and the rest. That's also where I started discovering my flair for cracking a joke or two, which I have somehow managed to be a part of me until now. I don't know, but being humorous is not something that is taught nor learnt. It just comes out naturally.  Actually, the inspiration for this blog is the answer given by Jam, my staff, to the question at Friends Exposed i.e., "What is one thing that Vic Soriano is a natural at?" Jam's answer? Joking.  No, I'm not joking, that's really her answer. Or maybe, she's the one joking?

Being serious and funny at the same time works in my favor. By being serious, I get the respect and support of people around me. By being funny, I also get their support and respect because that's my way of showing them that I am a down-to-earth person who can be easily approached and asked for help, but not with money problems. Yes, I'm serious about it. I'm seriously joking about it. Try me...I will refer you to somebody I know from the office who will help you with your financial burdens. There's a he and a she. Choose your pick. But of course, I'm just kidding. I can lend you a hundred or two, but not three or four.

Now you know how seriously funny I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's Chat

Followers