Sunday, November 8, 2009

Bobby, My Youngest Daughter's Classmate

While I was using the laptop one time, I noticed Charm, my youngest daughter, dialling the phone. When I asked her who she was calling, she said it was Bobby, her classmate. I asked why she was calling Bobby and she said she just wanted to know how he was feeling.

"Why, what happened to Bobby?" I asked her.

"He has a sore throat," she replied.

When I probed further, I learned that Bobby's sore throat was due to eating a lot of ice cream. I was about to ask her more questions but she was already talking to Bobby over the phone.

Do you know how Bobby looks like? Fat, gay, and ugly. That's according to Charm. And here's the revelation: Bobby exists only in my daughter's mind. In other words, Bobby is just a figment of her wild imagination. Yes, he is just an imaginary classmate.

Actually, she has other imaginary classmates - Dhaka and Poopoo - but she is closest to Bobby. In fact, she has a lot of stories about him that every time we're home, she would share with us what she and he talked about, usually about their assignments and their studies. 

I don't know how Charm has met or discovered Bobby and her other classmates, but I do not discourage my three-year-old daughter from continuing her friendship with them since I know that this is perfectly normal for kids her age. In time, she will forget about them, especially when she begins to meet her would-be real classmates next schoolyear.

5 comments:

  1. This is so cute! I myself would love to have imaginary friends. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the comment, philipp.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My cousin also had imaginary friends when she was still a kid. Her family used to live in our house before we transferred there. She said her friends are of normal size a kid can be and they live in our garage. Fortunately, my cousin grew up as an intelligent being and an extrovert.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you know how kids can be imaginative, @kia. since bobby was the main focus of this story, i forgot to mention about her drawing of dhaka...a moomoo! (awoooo...) :D

    ReplyDelete

Let's Chat

Followers