Wednesday, November 4, 2009

End Of The World

The end of the world has been predicted by so many self-proclaimed prophets and yet none of these predictions ever came to pass. Good for us living because we still have time to amend our ways and focus on our soul's salvation.

If we are to believe the latest doomsday prediction as announced in an online bible fellowship, judgment day will be on 21 May 2011 and the end of the world will be on 21 October 2011. (You may read the full article at ebiblefellowship.com and decide for yourself if you will believe it or not). This is exactly one year and two months earlier than the prophecy based on the Mayan calendar, the inspiration of the soon-to-be-released movie "2012".

No matter how logical the analyses of the end days were presented in that article, I still believe that only God the Father knows the exact day when the world as we know it will end. While the end of the world based on the Mayan calendar is a favorite lunchtime topic by me and an officemate, I don't really subscribe to the idea that anybody can be given the gift of knowing its exact date. Else, God will contradict Himself, which I don't think He will ever do.

If there's one positive effect of these judgment day prophecies on some people, including me, it is the immediate reflection on the condition of one's soul. But then, should we always encounter predictions about the last days of the world before we do something to save our souls? Why not treat each day as if it were the last so everyone would stop doing what displeases God and instead do things that could be one's stepping stones to heaven: being a good parent, son or daughter, sibling, neighbor, coworker, lover, and friend; loving one's enemy; forgiving other's sins; and living a simple and holy life, among others.

This is a tall order. Easier said than done, you may say. To most, this may sound too righteous and being one is very boring based on worldly standards. However, as one foreign priest succinctly put it: "Living according to God’s will is to live a completely fulfilling life in terms of what is good for us as human beings."

This what struck me this morning that I want to follow his words of wisdom. I shall start by being a more loving and faithful husband to my wife and a more responsible father to my kids. After all, salvation is a personal choice. Who doesn't want to go to heaven, anyway?

I pray that the real end of the world happens not too soon, and that I may live longer,  so I can have more time with my loved ones. For now, I shall strive to become the best Christian I can be so anytime the Lord calls me, I shall be sure where my soul will go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's Chat

Followers