Thursday, January 21, 2010

Vannie, Our Bunny

It has been more than a month since Vannie became a family member. I bought her as a present for our youngest daughter Charm who was then recovering from her two-day admission to the hospital for gastritis. I still vividly remember how her face delighted upon seeing the pair of rabbits I brought home that night and her utterance of appreciation for buying it for her. Since we didn’t have a ready cage yet that time, I asked our helper to make one on our yard using the spare tinplate bars we had.

That night, Vannie and Bugsy spent time together in the makeshift cage. Or so we thought. We found out in the morning that Bugsy escaped through the gap in between the bars. We tried to locate him but he was nowhere to be found.

For fear that Vannie might also follow suit, I dismantled the makeshift cage and transferred her to our old hamper where she stayed for awhile until I was able to buy her a decent cage. Well, not the usual cage but a transparent plastic storage box that was on sale. I made sure though that Vannie would not be suffocated that’s why I drilled two long holes on both sides of the cover so air would freely flow inside the cage.

Feeding Vannie has become one of the bonding pastimes for me and Charm as we both feed our pet which I would put on top of our veranda where it would playfully go back and forth the two ends of our porch’s posts. Slowly, Charm is learning the value of taking care of animals by teaching her how to handle it properly, giving it food and water, and cleaning its habitat regularly.

I was planning to buy another male companion for Vannie but I have read that each rabbit should have an individual cage and that means additional space. Therefore, I am setting that plan aside for now. Besides, I don’t want Vannie to have kits because we don’t have enough space at home. For now, I am happy with only one pet. Someday, when I already have a big house and extra space, I will have more pets, not only rabbits but other animals as well. That day will come soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's Chat

Followers