Sunday, March 28, 2010

Fathers' Involvement

I attended my eldest daughter's Recognition Day last Wednesday. Although she was not able to make it to the top honors, still we, her parents, are very proud of her for being second honors, given all the extra curricular activities she had this past schoolyear. I don't normally go up the stage to put on my daughter's medal. I give the honor to my wife, saying jokingly that I have had enough chances of going up the stage to receive medals when I was still studying. But this time, my eldest daughter requested that I do it for the academic awards, with her mom putting the medals on her for the banner (Best in English Communication) and special awards (Best in Pilipino and Computer).
What struck me during the awarding ceremonies was that more fathers than mothers went up the stage to put the medals on their children. This led me into thinking that modern fathers are really more involved in the academic life of their children like what I have previously written. This is a good sign that children of today have better relationship with their fathers compared with chidren of yesteryears.

If all fathers will become more involved in every aspect of their children's life, without necessarilly encroaching on their individual freedom and identity, all children will grow up properly guided and be prevented from associating themselves with bad influence individuals or groups. The earlier fathers realize the importance of building a good relationship with their children, the better for the whole family.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's Chat

Followers