Monday, March 22, 2010

The Ever Appreciative Charm


The other day, I was having breakfast with my youngest daughter. Her mom, who was at the office, cooked kare-kare for our viand. It was actually our 15th wedding anniversary and I decided to take a forced leave from the office to attend to filial matters and meet my wife in Greenbelt in the afternoon for our celebration. The usual inquisitive child that she is, Charm asked me a lot of questions during that breakfast time together (by the way, all of us in the family are accustomed to eating rice for our breakfast). She asked why I was not at the office, why only her mama was at the office, why I like vegetables, why kare-kare is my favorite, etc. Oh, children!

In the course of our bonding moment, Charm suddenly looked up the ceiling and blurted out, “Thank you, mama! Sarap luto mo (Your cooking is good)!" It was my time to ask her why she gazed her eyes up the ceiling and her answer put a wide smile on my face. According to her, the reason was that her mama was working in a high building. She got a point there. But what really amazed me was the deep sense of appreciation she showed. Actually, I am already used to it but still her antics continue to delight me. This trait of hers separates her from her two siblings. The two elder sisters are also appreciative but not as showy as Charm. Well, not when they were her age.

Even my wife acknowledges this defining charateristic of Charm. In fact, when I told my wife about it when we were having our dinner date, she uttered that Charm is really different from her siblings. Truth is, all my three kids have their defining trait. Clare is the leader type while Camille is the industrious one. My wife and I openly acknowledge these unique qualities of our children so that they would feel our appreciation and would be encouraged to develop them even more as well as their other good characteristics.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's Chat

Followers