Friday, April 9, 2010

Tracking the Performance of Mutual Funds and Unit Investment Trust Funds

When I decided to invest in mutual funds (MFs) and unit investment trust funds (UITFs) I knew that I didn't need to track its daily performance since they are meant to be long-term investments. But since I was a newbie in this field, the excitement of seeing how my portfolio perform daily prompted me to visit the websites of the four different investment firms where I put my money. 

The first few weeks of tracking my investments daily gave me a mixed feeling. There were days when the trend was rising and it naturally got me excited. But then, there were days when it was declining and I became somewhat gloomy. I decided then that I should not really be tracking the performance on a daily basis to spare me from feeling anxious whenever I would see it on a downtrend.

But since I haven't completely gotten over the excitement of knowing how my investments are doing, I still track them every now and then...not daily anymore. To date, all of them have been doing well. However, the one that is giving me so much optimism is my UITF investment with UnionBank. As of this writing, my investment with them, which I placed in the last week of January this year, has already grown  by 17.6%.  Not bad, indeed! 

In the coming months, I will still  be tracking the performance of my investments but not as often as I do now. Anyway, whether it gains or loses, it will not matter unless I decide to redeem it. That's the only time I shall realize the paper gain or the paper loss. For now, I shall keep myself busy with the other investments I have made, the angel investing, which are giving me even higher yields compared with my UITFs or MFs.











1 comment:

  1. From my experience the best investors are mature in their thinking and have realistic investment expectations. They measure their personal investment horizon in months and years - rather than weeks or days.

    ReplyDelete

Let's Chat

Followers